General steps (read on to learn more about each step below)
1. Create an ad unit in DFP (Google DoubleClick for Publishers)
2. Add your DFP ad unit ID to your Verst site
3. Connect an ad network or upload creatives to DFP and target your ad unit
Click here to read Google’s official overview on DoubleClick.
1. Create Ad Unit
- Click here to create a DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) account. If you already have an account, sign in.
- Go to the Inventory tab at the top of your page.
- Click "New Ad Unit". Create one with the following attributes:
- Code: A unique identifier for your ad unit (example: mysite_001). This code cannot be changed after initially setting it. Only letters, numbers, and the following symbols are allowed: _ - . * ! / \ < : ( )
- Name: A human readable name for your ad unit (example: Main site ad unit 001).
- Size: Add 2 sizes here: 728x90 and 320x100. Adding both ensures that your ad unit will work on multiple screen sizes.
- Target window: _top (the default)
- All other fields may be left with the default setting.
2. Add Ad Unit to Verst CMS
- Log into your Verst Dashboard
- Click into Site Settings. Scroll down to the bottom to click into Advertising.
- Toggle "Enable Ads" on.
- Enter your DFP Account ID and Ad Unit ID that you wrote down in steps 1.5 & 1.6 above.
- Choose where you want ads to be placed within your posts
Note: As you edit your site, you'll see gray preview boxes where your ads will be placed on your Verst posts when you're logged in to Verst Desktop. We intentionally do not place your real ads in these preview boxes so that you do not create impressions on your ads as you edit your site. To preview what a real ad looks like on your site, Preview your post or site.
3. Connect Ads to Ad Unit
There are many ways to target ads to your newly created ad units. What we describe below is the most basic way, but there are many other ways to do it.
- Sign back into DFP and click into the Delivery tab at the top of your screen.
- Select "New Order" and fill in the below sections:
- Under "Order: New order":
- Name: A human readable name that will help you identify this delivery
- Advertiser: Choose an existing advertiser or create a new name of an advertiser or ad network
- Trafficker: Typically yourself / email
- Under "Line item: New line item"
- Name: A human readable name that will help you identify this line item
- Inventory sizes: Include two sizes: 728x90 and 320x100 (similar to the ad unit that you created earlier)
- Settings: Choose whatever settings you would like
- Adjust delivery: Choose the delivery options you would like
- Add targeting: Select your newly created ad unit from the Ad Units folder (identifying it by its Code)
- Save the Order