1. To get the XML file of your Verst content, first login to your Verst account at admin.verst.co
2. Click Export in the menu on the left of your screen
3. Select Standard export from the dropdown menu that appears, then click Export. Your XML file should save to your downloads folder (or whatever your default folder is for downloads) on your computer.
4. Go to Medium. Go to the top right corner of the page to Sign in (if you already have an account) or Get started (to create a new account).
5. Click the avatar in the top right of your screen. In the dropdown menu that appears, select Publications
6. Click New publication (this is the equivalent of creating a new site - on Medium, you are able to have multiple publications, each of which operates as an independent site)
7. Fill in the relevant details to create your new site (publication) on Medium (Note: at the bottom of the first screen that appears, you will be able to add additional authors if you are creating a multi-author publication)
8. Once you have created your new publication, you will be taken to a page containing the title of your publication and a note that says, "This publication does not have any stories yet." Click the avatar at the top right of your screen, then select Homepage and settings at the bottom of the dropdown menu that appears.
9. On the right side of your screen, click Advanced, then click Migrate stories into this publication (Note: Medium "stories" are the equivalent of Verst "posts")
10. Click Start migration process on the right side of the screen
11. Click Upload archive on the right side of your screen. When the window of your computer files shows up, select the XML of your exported Verst content
12. You will see a progress bar of your upload. You can either wait until the import is finished or close the window - you will receive an email notification when your import is complete.
13. Scroll down to review your imported posts.
- Delete any post that you do not want imported to your Medium publication.
- Click on the title of any post to review and/or edit it. Any changes you make will be automatically saved. Once you are finished editing an imported post, click your publication avatar in the top right of your screen, then Homepage and Settings, then Advanced, then Migrate stories into this publication to return to reviewing your list of imported posts.
Please note: Because of the inherent differences in the technical infrastructure of Medium and Verst, this import will unfortunately not be perfect and will likely involve some editing on your part. As you review your imported posts, please keep in mind the following.
- If a post had a feature (aka header) image, it will not import. To manually add the image to your Medium story, click into the post to edit it, then type return at the top of the story, above the body text of the post. Click the + sign that appears to add the image from your computer.
- If you used the built-in search feature on Verst to add an image to your post, it will not be included in the import. To add the image, return to the Verst CMS and save it to your computer, then manually upload it to the imported post on Medium following the steps above.
- Numbered lists will not be included in the imported post.
- Your Pages from Verst will not be included in the import. Pages on Medium are fundamentally different than Pages on Verst. On Medium, a page is a way to display selected posts (similar to a Verst category). Learn more about Medium featured pages here.
- To create a page (category of featured posts) on Medium, click the avatar of your publication in the upper right corner of your screen. Click Feature pages. Click New feature page, then add the info and formatting you like.
- Navigation items from your Verst site will not be included in the import.
- To create navigation on Medium, click the avatar of your new publication at the top right corner of the screen. Select Navigation in the dropdown menu that appears. Click the + sign to add content. (Note: to add pages to your navigation, you must first create them following the steps for Feature pages detailed in the bulletpoint above)
- Content from your Homepage on Verst will not be included in the import.
- To edit your homepage on Medium, click the avatar of your new publication at the top right corner of your screen. Select Homepage and settings from the dropdown menu that appears. Click Homepage.
14. When you are satisfied with the imported posts, click Publish stories on the right side of the screen.
For more information about migrating your entire site to Medium, click here.
If you'd like to migrate your content post-by-post, read the instructions here.